A Total Inability To Connect

Pantomime - Laura Lam Pantomime was an interesting book to read. The setting and main character were really original, something I hadn't encountered in a book before (a book I've read, at least). The audacity to use an androgynous/transgendered main character in this manner created a lot of drama and actually tugged at your feels quite a bit - you feared for Micah to be found out, for the ridicule and shame.

The story flowed well, rarely slowed down and was consistently interesting. There are things I could point out positive and negative that would comprise quite a list, but I'll say that overall I enjoyed the book greatly, and I thought the themes were mature and progressive. The ending, on the other hand, was awful, and felt rushed and forced. It didn't even end on a cliffhanger, it just kind of...stopped. It acted as if it was setting up a sequel, but in an enclosed novel. It was rather disappointing.

In all, Lam wrote a solid, engaging book that I generally enjoyed and read through very quickly.