A Total Inability To Connect

Lamentation - Ken Scholes Writing: 4.5
Story/Plot: 4.5
Depth/Detail: 4.5
Enjoyment: 5

You ever get that time where you find something new, the thing that other people seem to know about but you never did, and when you finally experience it, you have that "how the hell did I live without ever knowing about this?!" moment? For me, my biggest moments were finding Le Bistro Montage in Portland, and finding this book by St. Helens, Oregon author Ken Scholes.

In a similar vein to Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series, Scholes' Lamentation introduces you to a post-modern fantasy world, following some kind of downfall that is only hinted at (unless I'm stupid and missed some blatant mention). Having just finished the Broken Empire series, I was already in a mode for this kind of story, so this fell right in line with that in the best ways possible. It helped that it was an extremely creative version, that the writing was well above average, very engaging, succinct. No wasted words, no filler garbage, just go-go-go without feeling overwhelming or exhausting.

The inclusion of the robotic men was very cool without feeling overly cheesy - they felt a bit like a steampunk version of the maid on the Jetsons', with it being clear that Isaak, the "main" robot, was a bit different from the others, his programming boards were different and unique, and he will clearly play a much bigger role going forward (being as the series is named after him). A gun made an appearance as well, much like it did in [b:King Of Thorns|12891107|King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)|Mark Lawrence|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1322539112s/12891107.jpg|17382436], but again did not feel cheesy, abused, misused - and the pope handled it exactly how I would have envisioned he would have. In fact, their approach to technology was both completely understandable and heartbreaking - the same way that it makes me want to vomit to think about past cultures and religions going through and destroying monuments, ancient structures, technology, etc, thinking about how much religion has held back science and progression in the past; oddly when put into the shoes of these people, who see destruction they blame on this technology, a bit of slippery slope theory in the name of protecting themselves, and getting rid of it suddenly makes a bit of sense. Heartbreaking, but with sense.

The story didn't exactly go the way I'd planned, but it also didn't exactly go against how I envisioned it, either. The actual end result was similar, but the "getting there" was not. Again, the writing was fluid, dialogue realistic, characters engaging. I loved the book, I look forward to starting the next one tonight, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to others.